Last Updated on Thursday, 28 May, 2020 at 8:15 pm by Andre Camilleri
- Another €25million to be allocated tomorrow to the disbursements which will now amount to €80million
- With our finger firmly on the pulse of businesses, as a Government we will guide businesses through this new phase in order to reduce their burdens as much as possible and safeguard jobs whilst creating new ones, a stance which complements our drive to seek opportunity in adversity and lead the way to re-experience economic growth’ – Minister Schembri
Minister for the Economy, Investment and Small Businesses Silvio Schembri said that in the coming days a substantial amount of measures will be announced, aimed at stimulating the economy and generating economic activity.
‘The strong economic measures which will soon be effected will include both short-term and long-term measures. Those short-term are aimed at addressing the supply aspect of the economy, whilst the long-term will focus on attracting and boost investment. As a Government we will stand should to shoulder with our business community. We are aware of the challenges that the community is facing, bearing in mind that despite that shops are now open for business, their activity certainly is not at the same level as was experienced prior to the pandemic. With our finger firmly on the pulse of businesses, as a Government we will guide businesses through this new phase in order to reduce their burdens as much as possible and safeguard jobs whilst creating new ones, a stance which complements our drive to seek opportunity in adversity and lead the way to re-experience economic growth,’ said Minister Schembri.
Minister Schembri said that the wage supplement will be provided for the month of June and Malta Enterprise will continue with its routinely process in assisting businesses.
It was explained that an amount of €55 million has been disbursed so far as part of the COVID-19 Wage Supplement. An additional €25 million will be disbursed tomorrow amounting to date to a total investment of €80 million in the Wage Supplement.
Malta Enterprise CEO Kurt Farrugia said that very few evaluations are still underway, however, Malta Enterprise is by and large awaiting response from clients. ‘I appeal to applicants to check their emails regularly and promptly present the documents requested by the Corporation. As of today, the Wage Supplement for the month of May and for the majority of emails received, have been already issued. For this supplement, those who have applied previously have already received a confirmation by email and therefore do not need to re-apply,’ explained Farrugia. The number of applications received amounts to 20,012 applications; an increase of 127 covering 93,580 employees.
With regard to the Telework Scheme, an amount of €300,000 has been disbursed so far, whilst a grant of €376,000 has been approved. As regards the Quarantine leave, an amount of €885,500 has been accepted by applicants, covering 2530 employees.