Last Updated on Wednesday, 17 July, 2019 at 4:34 pm by Christian Keszthelyi
FinanceMalta has partnered up with the Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) in organising a workshop on MFSA’s Fintech Strategy Consultation Document on Pillar 1 – Regulations, according to a press statement sent to Business Malta. The event will take place on Tuesday, 30 July at the Corinthia Palace Hotel in Attard.
Entitled “Pillar 1 – Regulatory Sandbox and Other Strategic Objectives: Briefing and Consultation”, the workshop aspires to provide an in-depth overview of the Consultation Document and to engage with the audience and stakeholders for feedback. Prospective Sandbox participants, collaborators and stakeholders from finance, law and technology are all invited to attend this workshop and communicate their views.
The MFSA launched a public consultation on the first pillar of its six-pillar Fintech Strategy earlier in July. This regulatory pillar comprises of four key areas, one of which is the creation of a testing-ground known as the Regulatory Sandbox. Such a scheme acts as an attractive option for Malta to become a hub for financial service companies to test out (almost in a controlled laboratory setting), their regulatory or commercial projects with actual financial consumers, the press statement sent to BM says.
The workshop will start with an introductory speech by Kenneth Farrugia, FinanceMalta Chairman, followed by an overview on the Pillar 1 regulations which will be delivered by Christopher Buttigieg – Chief Officer, Strategy, Policy and Innovation at MFSA.
Other speakers during the FinanceMalta workshop include:
- Tom Bull – Associate Partner, EY UK Fintech Leader,
- Joseph Cini – Analyst, FinTech and Innovation at MFSA,
- Leonard Bonello – Partner at GANADO Advocates,
- Ian Gusman – Analyst, FinTech and Innovation at MFSA,
- Joshua Ellul – Chairman of the Malta Digital Innovation Authority,
- Abdalla Kablan – Director at wyzer.ai & Caledo Tech,
- Luciano Brincat – Senior Analyst, FinTech and Innovation at MFSA, Stephen McCarthy – CEO of the Malta Digital Innovation Authority, and
- Ian Gauci – Managing Partner at GTG Advocates.
The event is open for registered delegates. The official website of the event carries further information about the workshop and registration process.