Registered unemployment decreased by 757 in June when compared to same month last year

Last Updated on Monday, 1 August, 2022 at 12:27 pm by Andre Camilleri

In June 2022, the number of persons registering for work stood at 954, decreasing by 757 when compared to June 2021, according to data published by the National Statistics Office (NSO).

The data shows that in June 2021 a total of 1,711 people were registering for work.

In a press statement on registered unemployment, the NSO analysed data provided by Jobsplus for June 2022, indicating a year-on-year decrease of 725 persons registering under part I, and an additional drop of 32 persons registering under Part II of the employment register.

The data further showed that registered unemployment levels decreased across all age groups for both males and females.

Males accounted for 72.3% of total registrants, while females accounted for the remaining 27.7%, the NSO found.

Persons who had been registering for work for less than 21 weeks and those who had been registering between 21 and 52 weeks decreased when compared to the same month in 2021.

A higher drop was recorded amongst those persons who were registering for work for more than one year.

Meanwhile, in June 2022, the number of persons with a disability who were registering for work decreased by 22 when compared to the previous year, reaching 231 persons.  Males accounted for 77.1% of total registrants with a disability. 

Data showed that the largest share of males and females on the unemployment register sought occupations as Clerical support workers, with 22% and 38.3%, respectively. 

- Advertisement -