Registered unemployment remains at lowest ever levels

Last Updated on Wednesday, 6 July, 2022 at 12:41 pm by Andre Camilleri

In May 2022, the number of persons registering for work stood at 961 decreasing by 1,040 when compared to the corresponding month in 2021, the National Statistics Office said on Wednesday.

It is two people less than the 963 people who registered for unemployment in April 2022, and registered unemployment therefore remains at record low levels.

Data provided by Jobsplus for May 2022 indicate a year-on-year decrease of 994 persons registering under Part I, and an additional drop of 46 persons registering under Part II of the unemployment register.

Registered unemployment levels decreased across all age groups for both males and females. Males accounted for 71.7 per cent of total registrants while females accounted for the remaining 28.3 per cent.

Persons who had been registering for work for less than 21 weeks and those who had been registering between 21 and 52 weeks decreased when compared to the same month in 2021. A higher drop was recorded amongst those persons who were registering for work for more than one year.

In May 2022, the number of persons with a disability who were registering for work decreased by 18 when compared to the previous year, reaching 242 persons. Males accounted for 75.2 per cent of total registrants with a disability.

The largest share of males and females on the unemployment register sought occupations as Clerical support workers, with 22.1 per cent and 42.3 per cent respectively.

- Advertisement -