Last Updated on Saturday, 11 September, 2021 at 12:24 pm by Andre Camilleri
Economy Minister Silvio Schembri said Saturday that the use of government Covid-19 vouchers has been extended to the end of October.
Speaking this morning, Schembri said that one fourth of the vouchers are still to be used. They were due to expire on 15 September.
The second round of vouchers was launched before the start of summer in a bid to help an economy which suffered as a result of shops being closed for several weeks at the height of the virus pandemic.
Some €12 million in vouchers have so far not been spent, Schembri said, and the government had thought it fit to extend the deadline for their use.
Each resident in Malta, including foreigners who live her, was given €100 worth of vouchers, €40 to use in retail outlets and €60 in accommodation and restaurants.
About 29,000 have not yet collected their set. Most of them are of foreigners, as only 63 per cent of the foreign residents have picked up the vouchers they are entitled to.