DB project: Local councils, NGOs continue ‘battle against greed’ in court

Last Updated on Monday, 10 January, 2022 at 12:31 pm by Andre Camilleri

Three local councils together with several organisations and residents have filed two Court actions against the approval of the massive DB project on the ex-ITS site, a statement by the group of dissenter said.

One court action appeals the approval by the Environment Resources Authority (ERA) of a highly defective Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) for the project, while the other Court action appeals the Planning Board’s go-ahead to the project which disregarded planning policies and involved an unfair and irregular process.

The two court actions were filed following the rejection of our two appeals by the Environment and Planning Review Tribunal (EPRT) last month. The EPRT decision to reject our appeals was expected since the Tribunal has an abysmal track-record of consistently ruling against objectors and in favour of the Planning Authority (PA) and other powerful forces. In 2019, the EPRT had also rejected our appeal against the first approval of the DB project, but its ruling was later overturned by Court, which cancelled the DB permit.

The DB’s proposed development on formerly public land is composed of two residential towers of 17 and 18 storeys each, and a hotel of 12 storeys. These would rise literally across the road of a large residential area in Pembroke and next to two Natura 2000 sites. The project would also be built around and on top of the scheduled St. George’s barracks and the scheduled Għar Ħarq il-Ħamiem cave, a submerged terrestrial cave system of unique geological and ecological value, as well as other sites of historical significance. Residents have repeatedly expressed their alarm about the massiveness and intensity of this disproportionate development in a predominantly residential area and the foreseen spillover of Paceville into Pembroke.

Thanks to a strong response to a crowdfunding campaign last year, we are once again in a position to continue fighting this monstrous project by undertaking Court actions, the statement said.

The Court appeals were filed by:

  • Pembroke Local Council
  • St. Julian’s Local Council
  • Swieqi Local Council
  • ACT Malta
  • Din l-Art Ħelwa
  • Flimkien għal Ambjent Aħjar
  • Friends of the Earth Malta
  • Moviment Graffitti
  • Nature Trust Malta
  • Rota
  • The Archaeological Society Malta
  • Pembroke and Swieqi residents

With the support of: BirdLife Malta, Ramblers Association of Malta and Sustainable Built Environment (SBE) Malta.

- Advertisement -
Previous articleWage supplement to be extended beyond January for some sectors
In 1994, the Malta Business Weekly became the first newspaper fully dedicated to business. Today this newspaper is a leader in business and financial news. Together with the launch of the MBW newspaper, the company started organising various business breakfasts to discuss various current issues that were targeting the business community in Malta.