The second round of Covid-19 vouchers will be issued after consultation with the stakeholders, the Economy Ministry said on Monday.
It was reported last week that the vouchers would be issued by mid-January, but the ministry’s statement signalled that the issuing of vouchers has been delayed.
The government says the aim of the vouchers, worth €100, is to regenerate the economy and help the businesses affected the most by the pandemic.
Economy Minister Silvio Schembri said the ministry is consulting with the health authorities and other stakeholders so that the vouchers are issued at a time when they are most beneficial.
The initiative will inject more than €45 million into the economy.
The vouchers will be issued once the consultation period is concluded, and when bars and clubs are allowed to open again.
The Ministry said that, through MIMCOL, it is upgrading the system so that it can be made more convenient through the use of technology. Businesses that have already made use of the app can continue doing so.
People whose identity card is expired or who need to renew their work permit should do so immediately with Identity Malta.