Last Updated on Wednesday, 1 November, 2023 at 2:07 pm by Andre Camilleri
The Building and Construction Authority said that as from today, contractors employed in demolition, excavation and construction who did not apply for a licence cannot operate.
The deadline for such applications expired yesterday, the BCA said in a statement on Wednesday.
Over the past months, the BCA received more than 3,500 applications for a licence. All of these can continue to operate in the construction sector until their application is formally processed.
Earlier this year, a legal notice established that on every site where any kind of construction work is taking place, operators must be licensed. In this transitional period, only those who have applied for a licence are allowed to operate.
Any contractors who did not apply by 31 October can still do so until 31 May, 2024, but they cannot operate from now onwards until they are granted a licence.
The committee evaluating applications can take up to 60 days to reply to such applications, so long as all required documents are submitted.
In the next few weeks, the BCA will inform all applicants to submit more documents as required so as to be able to obtain a licence by 1 January 2025.