Last Updated on Wednesday, 23 June, 2021 at 3:41 pm by Andre Camilleri
Economy Minister Silvio Schembri said that €3 million worth of vouchers have already been used by the Maltese public since the scheme was introduced on 7 June.
The second voucher scheme was introduced by the government to encourage public spending and aid business, which was negatively affected by the Covid-19 pandemic.
People aged 16 and over were each given €100 in vouchers to spend in restaurants, hotels, retail outlets and other services. Consumers have until 15 September to use them.
The total investment for the voucher scheme amounts to around €50 million. This is €5 million more than the previous round of vouchers.
Schembri remarked that so far local business have responded well to the voucher scheme and said that Malta “is bearing the fruit of the measures and schemes we put into action”.