Last Updated on Tuesday, 21 March, 2023 at 2:52 pm by Andre Camilleri
A €15 million scheme for the purchasing of new electric vehicles was launched by Transport Minister Aaron Farrugia and Parliamentary Secretary for EU funds Chris Bonett.
The scheme has been open since 1 January 2023, and it is funded by the EU’s Recovery and Resilience Plan (Rrp).
This scheme is part of a €50 million scheme that was launched last year and will continue until next year.
Private individuals, non-government organisations, businesses and private companies are able to apply for this scheme when purchasing new electric vehicles.
Farrugia said that this is just one scheme out of many that Transport Malta will be launching in order to promote the use of cleaner vehicles.
“Through this scheme, we are continuing to promote the use of cleaner and more environmentally sustainable means of transport. This is a direct investment in people, as we are not only offering them financial assistance to replace their vehicle, but also a direct investment in better air quality. It is worth reminding that the transport sector is the biggest contributor to air pollution, and thus as a government we will continue to invest in this area,” Farrugia said.
Bonett said that this incentive shows that Malta is doing its part in the fight against climate change. He described this as a proactive step towards more electric mobility which will reduce emissions.