Last Updated on Tuesday, 13 August, 2019 at 11:01 am by Christian Keszthelyi
Malta’s Youtubers will receive payment for their art and content produced on the video-sharing platform on par with other European youths, as of 14 March, according to a press statement issued by the government’s Department of Information (DOI). The Maltese government calls the scheme the YouTube Partnership Programme.
Parliamentary Secretary for Financial Services, Digital Economy and Innovation Silvio Schembri held discussions with representatives of Google in Malta at the beginning of last year, related to the lack of reimbursement options for the archipelago’s Youtubers. Starting as of tomorrow, the YouTube Partnership Programme will enable artists and Maltese Youtubers to receive payment for the content they produce and circulate on the video-sharing platform.
The government expects the recent progress to provide access to more tools and resources, available for artists and content creators using the platform.
The government recognises the efforts made by Google for YouTube to have a specific version for Malta, similarly to another ninety states, the press statement says. This puts an end to the “discrimination faced by Maltese YouTube users”, the government sees.
“I am satisfied that our work with Google bore fruit and now Maltese youths are going to be paid for their art and content produced on YouTube on par with other European youths”, said Mr Schembri. He added that this work was key in order to ensure that the benefits that the digital economy brings about will be advantageous and that it justly reaches Maltese and Gozitan youths.
The Maltese government said it would organise an activity for YouTube users to provide further information on the YouTube Partnership Programme for Malta.