Last Updated on Friday, 5 June, 2020 at 9:25 am by Andre Camilleri
Foreign Minister Evarist Bartolo said today that 530 persons will be repatriated next week because they no longer have employment. They lost their job as a result of COVID-19, he wrote on Facebook this morning.
They are 300 Indians and 230 Colombians, who will add up to the 1,998 persons who have already left the country for the same reason.
So far, 633 Italians have been repatriated, with 404 going back by sea and 229 by air.
Another 282 Serbs and 260 Albanians were also repatriated, while the others were from Greece (29), France (97), Turkey (21), Spain (131), Colombia (211), UK (32), Bulgaria (76), Bosnia (41), North Macedonia (160) and Poland (25).
Bartolo said that the government is forking out part of the expenses for their return.
More need to be taken back to their country, he added, as 2,269 adults from EU countries applied, and they have 350 children with them. There were also applications from 3,131 adults from non-EU countries, with 306 children.